Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father

In my life I have held many positions with various titles. Some have been professional, some spiritual, and some just for fun. But of all the positions I have held. None compares with the title of Father. When you are young you assume that one day you will become a father because most every man does. It's the way of nature. And when you marry you assume it is just around the corner because you are now in the relationship in which you can become fruitful and multiply as the Lord commanded in the Bible.

Yet you still haven't a clue how your life will change, how you will change. For me, it was a long wait. Nineteen years we waited, then one day our prayers were answered and the miracle of life happened for us.

Seeing that beautiful precious face of our baby girl was as close to a divine experience as one could have on this earth. We fell totally and completely in love with this little stranger, whom we felt that we always knew. We held our dream in our hands for the first time.

Yes, we were crazy about our blessing and set about to do everything we dreamed of doing with a child. We bought her everything we dreamed of, we took her every place we dreamed of going and took great care to plan her future. That was to be expected. But the love I felt for my child, was something I never expected. I had experienced nothing with which to compare.

I remember my Godly Grandmother, when she visited, upon seeing dozens of pictures of my baby daughter on the walls warned, "Now son, be careful not to worship that child, we are only supposed to worship the Lord." I explained to her, "Grandmother, my love for her is so great, I can't help it. God understands."

I know she meant well, but as far as I was concerned, my love was God given and so I didn't consider it worship, just the highest, most pure love one could have. That love has never wavered or waned. It continues to grow with time. It is unabashed. And as far as I am concerned, it is the nearest a man can understand the love that God, our heavenly Father, has for us, His children.

The title of Father comes to men through biology, marriage, or adoption. The love of a Father solidifies and confirms the right to that title. It is the highest title a man may hold. It is a title most solemn, conferred and blessed of God. Laura is and will always be, my cherished blessing, and I will always be her Father.

3 comments:

marty said...

very nice, gene. i've been a step-father for 19 years now, but crystal and tim are "my kids." i love them with all my heart. now, we're going to be grandparents in december. crystal told us a couple of weeks ago. i think "father" and "grandpa" are just about equal. there's love there that just can not be explained. God bless you!!

Angel Santos said...

I liked that article. Spoken from the heart. I have that same love for my children and grandchildren, so I understand.

Anonymous said...

Hey spiritfellowship.blogspot.com members
private rentenversicherung vergleich - private krankenversicherung fuer beamte
[url=http://pkv-private-krankenversicherung-vergleich.info/pkv-private-krankenversicherung-kosten-fuer-beamte.html]krankenversicherung kosten[/url]
pkv vergleich erlangen
Merle